2.1 Preliminary Steps
IMPORTANT: Use AC power when running POST, Computer Setup, or Computer
Checkup. A low battery condition could initiate Hibernation and interrupt the test.
Before running POST and Computer Checkup, complete the following steps:
1. Obtain established passwords. If you must clear the passwords, go to Section 2.2.
2. Ensure that the hard drive is installed in the computer.
3. Ensure that the battery pack is installed in the computer and the power cord is
connected to the computer and plugged into an AC power source.
4. Turn on the computer.
5. If a power-on password has been established, type the password and press Enter.
6. Run Computer Setup (Section 2.5). If a Setup password has been established, type
the password and press Enter.
7. Turn off the computer and all external devices.
8. Disconnect external devices that you do not want to test. If you want to use the
printer to log error messages, leave it connected to the computer.
NOTE: If a problem only occurs when an external device is connected to the
computer, the problem could be with the external device or its cable. Isolate the
problem by running POST with and without the external device connected.
9. Use Compaq Utilities and Loopback plugs in the serial and parallel connectors if
you plan to test these ports.
Follow these steps to run Compaq Utilities:
a. If you are running Compaq Utilities from the hard drive, turn on or restart the
computer. Press F10 when the cursor appears in the upper right corner of the
screen. If you do not press F10 in time, restart the computer and try again.
If you are running Compaq Utilities from diskette, insert the Compaq Utilities
diskette in drive A. Turn on or restart the computer.
b. Press Enter to accept OK.
c. Select Computer Checkup (TEST).
d. Select Prompted Diagnostics.
e. After “Identifying System Hardware” completes, select Interactive Testing and
follow the instructions on the screen.