Step 3: Charge the battery
CAUTION: To avoid damaging the Travel Companion or the AC adapter, make sure all connectors
are properly aligned before connecting.
The battery provides power for the Travel Companion to operate. Travel Companion comes with a
mini-USB cable, which must be used to charge the device.
It takes approximately 2-4 hours to fully charge the battery when the device is off. While the device is
in use, it can take up to 8 to 10 hours to fully charge a battery that has been discharged.
To charge the battery:
1. Insert the USB end of the mini-USB cable into the port on the AC adapter.
2. Connect the AC adapter to an electrical outlet.
3. Connect the mini-USB cable to the charging/communications port on the Travel Companion. The
cable connector fits only one way. If the connector does not insert easily, turn it over.
TIP: You can also charge the battery by connecting the Travel Companion to a USB port on your
computer using the mini-USB cable. You can only transfer data when charging through USB.
NOTE: Whenever a replacement battery is inserted into the Travel Companion, press the
Power key for at least two seconds. In case the device does not turn on, attach the AC adapter to
turn on the Travel Companion.
Power on Travel Companion
To power on the Travel Companion:
1. Press and hold the Power key.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the Travel Companion.
NOTE: The on-screen set up instructions appear only the first time you turn on the Travel Companion.
Car kit setup
The car kit allows you to mount the Travel Companion on a location in your car that provides an open
view of the sky to get the best available GPS signal.
To install the car kit:
1. Plug the power cable into the travel power adapter, and then plug the adapter into a vehicle power
8 Chapter 5 Power on and set up the Travel Companion