Copyright © 2010 Caringo, Inc.
All rights reserved 16
Security privileges are not inherited from container objects to the objects contained by
them. In other words, a realm that is authorized to create a bucket is not automatically
authorized to create objects in the bucket.
4.4. Rules and Recommendations for Managing Tenants
You must observe the following guidelines when you create domains for your tenants:
• You must create at least one domain in your cluster to use named objects.
• You must properly set the clusterSettingsUUID parameter in your node or cluster
For more information, see Section 3.7, “Choosing and Preserving Cluster Settings”.
• All domain names must be unique among all tenants and all clusters you manage.
• Dell strongly recommends all domain names be IANA compliant (for example,
• If you already have a cluster name that is not IANA-compliant, create an IANA-compliant domain
name and create of all your named objects in buckets in that domain.
• Dell strongly recommends you set up a default cluster domain (that is, a domain name that
exactly matches the name of the cluster). Every object that has no domain explicitly defined for it
belongs to the default cluster domain.
However, if your client applications maintain use objects only without POST authentication, you
should not create a default cluster domain.
If a domain or bucket is deleted without first deleting the objects it contains, the objects
are not deleted; however, the objects cannot be retrieved because their container is
missing. For example, if a bucket that contains objects is deleted, the objects cannot be
retrieved. To work around this issue, see Section D.1, “Restoring Domains and Buckets”.
4.5. Domain Naming Rules
When you create a domain name, observe the following rules:
• It must begin with a number or letter.
• It is recommended to be an IANA domain name (see also RFC 1034).
• Allowed characters: alphanumeric, including underscore (_), period (.), and hyphen (-).
However, a valid name cannot end with a hyphen character, contain two successive periods, or
have a hyphen and period adjacent to each other.
Examples: cluster.example.com, my-cluster.example.com,
Dell strongly recommends against using a non-IANA domain name like domain or